Wednesday, August 8, 2007

What a difference a day makes!!

Yesterday was the first day we could register Hannah and Matthew in school. There are three elementary campuses in our district and they had all three register at one campus. I don't really have a problem with that idea.....of course I wish they had picked the campus that was in the middle of the three, or better yet the one our kids where our kids will be going! But that is neither here nor there. What got me so upset was that it was SO disorganized! We waited in a long line to have their shot records checked and then after we were approved we were told to "Proceed!" Proceed to WHERE?!? We moved forward to the obvious next step, the cafeteria. There were tables lined up together with signs in front of them indicating which school was where. The only problem was there were tables lined up in front of those tables, so the lines to the schools didn't go OUT from the tables, but along side of the tables! So the signs were worthless since we couldn't read where we were supposed to be. For a while we were in the wrong line because everyone around us were just as lost as we were! We were there for over an HOUR and all we got accomplished was; approval of their shot records, copies made of their shot records and birth certificates and such, got all of the forms filled out and stood forever in line to turn in the forms. At that point we ran out of time and had to leave to get Hannah to cheerleading practice and Austin to Boy Scouts.

Today was a whole different story! We got there and there was hardly anyone there (granted we were earlier than we were yesterday) and since we had our forms already filled out, we went straight to the "turn in the forms" line. Only there wasn't any line yet. They had also rearranged the set up to make more sense and you could clearly see where you were to be and the lines went AWAY from the tables instead of along side of the tables. It took us all of 10 minutes to walk from the car, turn in the papers, ask a few questions and leave!

On the 21st they will have posted outside of the school who their teachers will be and on the 23rd we will get to meet the teachers and drop off their school supplies. We enrolled Hannah in fourth grade even though according to her birth date she should be going into third grade. We did that because this past school year she did third grade. They said the counselor will be contacting us to see about testing Hannah to make sure she will do well in fourth grade. Hannah wants to go into third, but Chris and I feel it will be a waste for her to do that, so unless the school says she would do better in third, she will be in fourth. Right now Matthew is doing flash cards with Hannah to refresh her memory on her mulitplication and division facts. She isn't enjoying it, but she will get her turn at quizzing Matthew on his addition and subtraction facts.

On the 14th we get to register the older two. I am sure it will be easier than it was for the younger two. There will be far fewer kids registering because it is a much smaller school. I can only hope, right?

I can't believe that in less than three weeks they will all be at school. I am excited for them (and I can't lie....for me too), but at the same time it is a bit sad and strange for me. Usually at this point in the year we are either already doing school or I am in the process of organizing their books and planning out lessons. Big changes are ahead of us! I am sure I will have plenty to write about as the year goes on. We will be experiencing a lot of firsts!

No comments: