Monday, September 3, 2007

First week of school and Labor Day weekend

Well we survived our first week of school! There were highs and lows this week for the kids. Hannah and Austin are struggling with the whole school routine. Hannah is the one that is struggling the most. She was in tears on Thursday evening about school. She told me that she loves school, but she is having problems completing her school work. Friday when Chris picked the younger two up from school he went and talked to Mrs. C and told her what Hannah had told us the day before. Mrs. C said that she understands that this is Hannah's first time in a classroom setting and she knows it is a big change for her. She also told Chris that Hannah isn't the only one that doesn't finish her work and she isn't worried about that. She said that Hannah is one of the first ones to answer her questions, so it is just a matter of Hannah settling into the routine. Mrs. C is confident that Hannah is going to do great this year. That made all of us feel much better.

Austin just needs to learn to budget his time wisely and become more organized. Based on what we are seeing, he is doing fine with the work, just a bit unorganized. I don't think he is alone though. I think a lot of 6th graders are struggling with the change from elementary school to middle school. I think in a week or so he will find his groove and do just fine.

Rebeckah had homework over the weekend. For her Texas History class she had to make a poster about Texas. We went to my parents house right after the kids got out of school, so we didn't have time to look anything up on the internet or print anything out. My parents of course don't have the internet or a printer. They don't even have a computer! So Rebeckah called Lisa and asked her to print out a few things. Lisa and her boys came over on Sunday to help with Rebeckah's project, have dinner with us and celebrate Austin's birthday (it is really on Wednesday).

Sunday Chris took Austin, his friend Todd and Matthew to The Main Event for Austin's birthday. They played video games and laser tag. Chris forgot to take the camera, so I don't have any pictures. But they all said they had a great time!

Here are a few pictures from our weekend:


The kids are looking at Lisa who was taking pictures at the same time I was. From l-r they are: Rebeckah, Sean, Ryan, Austin, Matthew, Justin and sitting on the floor is Hannah.


Here is a picture of Rebeckah working on her poster.


Rebeckah's almost finished poster. She is missing the American flag. That is a long story and we will see if she does in fact get that last flag on there before it is due!


Lisa and her boys Justin and Ryan.



I just thought I would throw in a picture of Sean wearing the shield he made at church last Sunday.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

I'm sorry Hannah and Austin are having a hard time adjusting here at the beginning...I don't like that feeling so I can sympathize. I'll keep them in my prayers. Rebeckah did a great job on her Texas project! And that Sean....he's a keeper!

Lisa Comer said...

The kids will settle in to the school routine - most kids have the same problem the first couple of weeks every year. We will have that problem this week once they start actually doing school work!

I can tell Becka really worked hard on her poster! How did she ever manage to cut it out in the shape of Texas? Truly amazing! (hee,hee)

Love the pics of the kids, hate the one with me.